Job Announcement: Director of Membership and Development Church of the Larger Fellowship, Unitarian Universalist
Church of the Larger Fellowship (CLF) is a 3500 member congregation without walls, which cultivates wonder, imagination, and the courage to act. Constituents, who live all over the world, engage with CLF primarily via the internet, but also through mail, and telephone. Services provided include a daily meditation, blogs, online classes, various small groups online, a monthly newsletter, and weekly online worship. CLF’s members include about 600 prisoners, a significant number of religious professionals and their families, military personnel, geographically remote people, and many others.
CLF seeks a self-motivated, flexible, adventurous, digitally literate, detail-oriented person to serve as our first-ever Director of Membership and Development. Our geographically dispersed congregation is unique, and your job will be, too. Our $650,000 budget comes primarily from members and supporters, with about $50,000 from grants and $100,000 from endowment. The position will work closely with and report to the Senior Minister.
We seek someone grounded in Unitarian Universalist values who will invent, adapt, and spearhead membership support and development efforts as CLF continues to grow. CLF is currently in the start-up phase of a $1 million dollar jumpstarter campaign.
This is a full time, exempt position. Location and work schedule are flexible. (Candidates living in the Twin Cities, MN, will be given priority and are especially encouraged to apply.)
- With fundraising committee and senior staff, refine and execute CLF’s annual fundraising plan
- Manage eTapestry, the donor data base
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations to sustain and enlarge annual budget
- Stay in active contact with donors, assessing their needs and assuring that the organization responds to those needs
- Create systemic engagement with donors
- Create and execute a strategy to build a sustained base of annual individual donors, using direct mail, social media, telephone and online strategies
- Develop detailed fundraising budgets and report regularly on progress
- Oversee organization’s special events
- Develop and track proposals and reports for grants and all foundation fundraising
- Support special efforts and drives, including jumpstarter campaign
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Membership and Community Building
- With membership committee and senior staff, develop and implement a membership growth and retention strategy
- Develop segmented sub-communities of the membership within the data base; reach out with specific support and specifically tailored messages
- With program staff, develop and implement consistent, robust narratives of involvement with existing and prospective members
- Develop online classes and groups to introduce value of joining.
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- Demonstrated commitment to Unitarian Universalist values
- Exceptional commitment to mission of CLF
- 3 years experience in non-profit development
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and communication skills
- Willingness to learn and adapt, use feedback and data to experiment, re-imagine, try something different.
- Strong oral and written strategic communication skills
- Fluency in social media and analytics reporting
- Facility with and knowledge of nonprofit databases, eTapestry experience a plus.
- Competitive salary, excellent benefits.
- Flexible, joyful, and supportive work environment; meaningful work.
- Opportunity for creative, independent work, and collaborative teamwork.
People with disabilities, people of color, Hispanic/Latino/a, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
Send resume, cover letter describing Interest and qualifications, writing and solicitation samples, and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact only selected candidates by April 24 for interviews. Position begins in May.